Friday, 11 June 2010

Usage and Health Data Collection Proxy Stopped

I have been having a problem on SharePoint 2010, that has been there since beta but still exists on RTM. Everything worked fine when I first built the beta by running the Farm Configuration Wizard, but when I rebuilt the system and created the Service Applications manually in the Central Admin UI, the usage analysis Web Analytics reports were reporting zero results. I checked the Web Analytics services were started in Central Admin along with all the other usual checks and spotted that the Usage and Health Data Collection SA Proxy was Stopped in the Manage Service Application page:
UsageApplication SA Stopped
So I deleted the Usage and Health Service Application from the UI and recreated it using PowerShell with this script:

$serviceInstance = Get-SPUsageService
New-SPUsageApplication -Name "Usage and Health Data Collection Service Application" -DatabaseServer DBSERVER -DatabaseName "SharePoint_SA_Usage" -UsageService $serviceInstance > $null

However, the new SA proxy was still reporting Stopped and still no Web Analytics reports after 24 hours.
I decided to place a PSS call in the end and the answer lies in requiring to run a Provision method on the Usage and Health Data Collection Service Application Proxy after creating it in PowerShell. Therefore, if you already have a Usage and Health Service Application provisioned, you can change it by getting the GUID of the proxy from typing Get-SPServiceApplicationProxy and using it as in the below example:

$UP = Get-SPServiceApplicationProxy | where {$_.ID -eq "7636f85a-88eb-4ffc-8a31-8dbdd0812e14"}
$UP.Provision()

25 comments:

  1. Works like a gem Thanx /Colin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Thanks for posting. Worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Phil. That did the trick for me! Greetings from germany.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great. Nice to get a thanks Christian - Greetings from the UK!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did some modification to your helpful script that bypasses looking up the GUID manually . The TypeName is fixed so if you have only one Usage and Health Data Collection Service (which is native for a single farm).

    $UP = Get-SPServiceApplicationProxy | where {$_.TypeName -eq "Usage and Health Data Collection"}
    $UP.Provision()

    ReplyDelete
  6. Getting the service app by TypeName as Andries wrote was a useful hint, but it didn't work for me. Maybe it should have been "Usage and Health Data Collection Proxy"? I used this instead:

    $UP = Get-SpServiceApplicationProxy | where {$_.DisplayName -eq "[the Name of the proxy as shown in Manage Service Applications]"}
    $UP.Provision()

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have 2 proxy that have stopped status after restore with new method(Access Service New and Excel Service Application New). And this work for me
    $UP = Get-SpServiceApplicationProxy | where {$_.DisplayName -eq "Access Service New"}
    $UP.Provision()

    thank you very much, everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Worked for me too ... thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you. That worked

    ReplyDelete
  10. Works with Sharepoint 2013 too! Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your work is very simple art of work its really a helpful.
    Rapid Library UK proxy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your this blog giving us very much information thanks for share this.

    access Monova in UK

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just want to say your article is astounding. The clarity in your post is simply spectacular

    torrentHound UK proxy

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This data collection article is very helpful.
    For more information pls. visit http://dataentryhelp.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great stuff again. Thanks for making time to write these articles. You will be my number one resource, Looking forward to more articles
    sharepoint developer training

    ReplyDelete
  17. Worked like a charm, thank you!

    ReplyDelete